Humans began gathering around the humble water pipe 2400 years ago. The first bong was discovered in an excavation of a Russian kurgan providing evidence of Scythian tribal chiefs using gold bongs to smoke cannabis and opium. Throughout the late Ming Dynasty via Persia and Silk Road water pipes were introduced, going on to become the preferred method to smoke tobacco by the Qing Dynasty. (You can read more on the history of the bong here).
Nowadays bongs come in every shape, color, price point, and material and remain one of the most economical ways to consume cannabis, enjoying enduring popularity as a result. Society has come a long way since bongs were first discovered but proper bong hygiene remains in the dark ages for the most part.
Our cannabis hygiene series seeks to educate and inform on how to uplift your everyday experience. Not only does regular cleaning of your bong increase its longevity, but it also decreases the number of impurities in your body as well as improving aromatic and flavour profiles. Friends don’t let friends hit dirty bongs after all.
Below we have step by step instructions on how to clean your bong with regular household supplies:
- Rinse with warm water to dislodge any loose resin that might be clinging to the inside. This will enable the homemade cleaning mixture to go to work
- Disassemble all parts
- Create 2:1 mixture of salt (Iodine-free table salt, rock or Epsom salts) with 91% to 99% isopropyl alcohol. Salt helps to get into all the hard to reach crevices acting as an abrasive (think of it as a fancy exfoliating spa treatment for your glass piece)
Rice and baking soda can also work well if you don’t want to use alcohol
- Soak mouthpiece in a ziplock bag containing cleaning mixture
- Cap the openings of your bong either by covering with your hand or by plugging the holes with a paper towel
- Put on your favourite song and shake, shake, shake
- Rinse thoroughly (a few times) in hot water. If you smell even a hint of alcohol, it is not safe to use yet
It’s just that easy (and inexpensive) to clean your bong at home using household items. Stay tuned for our upcoming posts on how to clean your pipe, one hitter and vaporizer to ensure your everyday cannabis experience is always top shelf.
Enjoy Respectfully, Consume Responsibly.